[phobos] next release (module useability)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Sep 14 20:36:00 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 19:35:05 Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 07:30:36PM -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > In any case, I don't think that the reason for the separation between
> > std.stdio and std.file is at all obvious or that it ultimately makes
> > much sense, and I'd love to see them combined. But obviously, it's not
> > up to me.
>
> I really like the way
>
> std.file.write
> std.file.exists
>
> etc, etc look. Most could be merged in with std.stdio, but the names
> wouldn't be as obvious anymore, since the module name doesn't say what it
> means.

A good point, though I try and avoid needing to ever give the full names like
that (I pretty much always would use write() and exists() rather than
std.file.write() or std.file.exists()). However, having a the File struct in stdio
feels seriously wrong. Also, the separation is confusing when you try and figure
out what you need to do to actually open and read/write from/to files.