[phobos] next release (module useability)

SHOO zan77137 at nifty.com
Wed Sep 15 05:06:58 PDT 2010

(2010/09/15 1:19), Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Answering to an older point:
>
> On 9/11/10 0:40 CDT, SHOO wrote:
>> My question is simpler.
>>
>> I want to know the reason.
>>
>> time is a concept including date.
>> stopwatch/benchmark is a part of time, but it is not a part of date.
>> date is redundant if so.
>> Nonetheless what will the reason to add date to a module name be?
>
> I think it's quite simple. First time I needed some time functions I
> searched the library home page for "time". Couldn't find any. It took me
> a while to find time-related functions inside std.date, and found the
> connection tenuous. Probably it would be equally uneasy for others, too.
>
> If there is only std.time it is presumable that somebody looking for
> date functions would think of searching for "time".
>
> But then "std.datetime" is 100% unambiguous. 10 people out of 10 would
> know what it contains. And it's really no extra effort for us, so why not?

I see. Thank you for showing your thought.
I thought since C uses a name of time.h, the D can provide a similar
name then. However, the names had better be rather different because
this module should not have depended on functions of C.

>> /* The reason of this question is because there was the doubt why naming
>> it is WAG for of the module of Phobos before in Japanese community. (The
>> subject at that time was "Why are std.file and std.path separated?") */
>
> It's a good point. The distinction between manipulating file names and
> file contents is valid, but academic. For scripts, you'd need to import
> both files most of the time anyway. What does WAG mean?
>
> I think consolidating std.path and std.file into std.file would mark
> progress.
>

> Andrei

WAG means "wild ass [arse] guess" in internet slang that I heard. It was
guessed that reason why std.path and std.file ware separated depend on
inspiration at that time.
I think that these features should be refined more, too. I am confused
that the handling of strings and path are mixed.