[phobos] phobos commit, revision 2028

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Mon Sep 20 20:32:42 PDT 2010

On 09/20/2010 08:23 PM, Don Clugston wrote:
>> In short, imposing this requirement on me will substantially lessen my
>> contribution to Phobos.
>
> I agree.
> For a large chunk of the past six weeks, unit tests were broken on
> Windows. Situations where tests have passed on Windows but failed on
> *nix have been quite rare. And there are still unit tests which are
> disabled in Windows because they fail, even though they pass on *nix.
> (From memory, there are about five of them).
> IMHO, the main problem was simply been that unit tests were not being
> run at all.

Passing on Linux and failing on Windows has happened to me quite a few
times back before the wine build was not set up. Also there's been cases
more recently than that when math idiosyncrasies showed up on one system
but not the other.

I don't think bit rot is an issue - Walter always tests on Windows
before deploying. This puts the onus on the unittests and the test suite.

The main issue here is discouraging people from working on Phobos. I
understand that starting a VM and dealing with an unfamiliar environment
can be unpleasant. Perhaps a good middle ground would be cygwin, and
passing on cygwin is also a good sign of code portability and
non-reliance on OS quirks. Could a primarily-Windows person volunteer to
modify posix.mak to accommodate cygwin?

Thanks,