[phobos] std.datetime and tick types

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 27 07:52:48 PDT 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:52:17 -0400, SHOO <zan77137 at nifty.com> wrote:
> (2010/09/27 20:22), Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> /++
>>      Represents possible units of time.
>>    +/
>> enum TUnit { year, month, week, day, hour, minute, second, millisecond,
>> microsecond, stdTick }

[snip]

>> What I'd really like is to find a better name than tick or std tick for
>> my ticks.
>> What would that be anyway? A deci-microsecond? A centa-nanosecond?
>> Either name
>> would be horrible.

A hundred nanoseconds would be a deci-microsecond or a hecto-nanosecond.
Both are used, though hectonanosecond seems to be more popular, both
generally and with programmers. For example, Apple's Network Time Protocol
codebase uses the unit. I don't find either name horrible and would prefer
an actual unit of time in TUnit as opposed to a made up name which I'd
have to remember is actually a hectonanosecond. Perhaps this is my
scientific background coming through.