[phobos] Column limits again

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 10 11:12:44 PDT 2011

> I wanted to make it clear that this is not the time to bring again the
> arguments, as there have been ample discussions on the topic in the
> past. In particular your arguments that you now repeated have been
> definitely read and understood, as well as refuted.

Well, I definitely disagree that they were refuted rather than only argued
against, but it's obvious that we're never going to agree.

> This is the time to conclude all that discussion with a simple decision.
> Again, clearly some limit must exist because current code editors don't
> handle long lines satisfactorily and some contributors want to keep
> editing windows less than most or full screen width.
>
> I think a soft limit (very strongly recommended) of 80 columns and a
> hard limit (absolute, forget about merging your code if you don't
> observe) of 120 columns would be agreeable to all current and potential
> contributors.

That's fine with me.

What I really don't want to see is a hard limit of 80. And I'll code to
whatever we decide. But I definitely would like it if we could just reach a
decision on this and be done with it.