[phobos] Time to get ready for the next release

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 09:06:03 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Steve Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com>wrote:

> The problem with RTFM is, they have a point.  s.seconds = 5 looks like it
> should work.  So that response looks like you don't care about usage.  D
> isn't a dynamic language.

Right.  I'd rather a language be liberal and accept a few silly things than
be conservative and reject a few reasonable things.  There will never be
perfection with regard to this.

> If you *want* to express that a function can be called both ways, then we
> have to look into overloading properties and non-properties of the same name
> with the same arguments, or using an annotation.  But that's a separate
> enhancement.  We'd have to look at the merits of that separately, and I
> personally feel the ability to do that is not worth the trouble -- you can
> just as easily rename the function version, and it actually ends up reading
> clearer.  Yes, it's not always DRY, but DRY is never fully achievable, and
> is secondary to usage semantics IMO.

DRY is the whole point of using any language above ASM.  C prevents you from
having to repeatedly specify calling conventions and stuff. C++ prevents you
from having to repeatedly specify things like vtable layout, etc. etc.