[phobos] Time to get ready for the next release

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Apr 24 04:33:30 PDT 2011

If writeln = "foo"; doesn't compile but printf = "foo"; does then I would consider it not fixed. The way I would want @property to behave is disallow bar = "foo"; for functions not marked with @property. But still allow functions not marked with @property to be callable without parentheses.

> From a theoretical perspective, assignment is a function which stores a value (in addition to taking an input and producing an output, like any other function). Since we can cleanly express in D whether a function modifies external state (i.e. stores values) via pure/const/immutable, we can detect and error on non-consistent uses of assignment. This won't be perfect, because not all functions which modify state store something from a high-level point of view, but it covers a lot (all?) of the common use cases.
>
> Regarding your question, writeln/printf = "foo" would still be valid under these new tests; but to play devil's advocate, maybe you do kernel development work, etc, and mentally model I/O as writing to specific memory locations. That mental model actually prefers printf = "foo" to printf("foo").
>
> P.S. I've never liked the writeln = "foo" example, because it's of the form verb = value, and therefore feels like a straw men. The more realistic situation is noun = value, but its very hard to find this kind of example that is A) named in a way such that a user might reasonably make an assignment to it and B) also feels natural as a method call.
>
> [1] In the actual examples, the use of a noun for the factory function name lead to the confusion.

/Jacob Carlborg