[phobos] UTF-8 string slicing

unDEFER undefer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 02:38:42 PDT 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 06:49:33 +0400, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com>
wrote:

> There isn't any getting away from understanding that UTF-8 is a
> multi-byte encoding.

If it is so, then arr.popFront() must break UTF-8 strings ;-)

> If you want to use an encoding with a 1:1 correspondence between indices
> and characters, use dchar encoding.

For me use in 4 times more memory for ASCII seems too wasteful, sorry.

Walter, I really very like your creation. It is great. Big thank you for
it!
I really believe that there is no bugs, only not documented features ;-)
I just want to say that the documentation now give enough information.
std.range or std.array documentation don't say anything about it's
behaviour on UTF-8 strings.
I'm already see source codes to know what really does any function. Open
Source is really great :-)

--
Nikolay Krivchenkov aka unDEFER
I want to believe... in unDE.su