[phobos] How to build the Phobos docs?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Feb 3 03:24:07 PST 2011

On Thursday 03 February 2011 03:16:26 Lars Tandle Kyllingstad wrote:
> When I run "make -f posix.mak html" I now get the message
>
>          make: *** No rule to make target
>         `../web/phobos-prerelease/phobos.html', needed by `html'. Stop.
>
> If I create the file manually, I get more of the same:
>
>         make: *** No rule to make target
>         `../web/phobos-prerelease/std_algorithm.html', needed by `html'.
>         Stop.
>
> Is the makefile broken, or is there something I need to do before
> running make?

I believe that the Makefile is broken. It relies on files that used to be in
another subdirectory of the parent directory that Phobos is in. However, with
the move to git, there is no parent directory in the repository. So, there is no
adjacent directory with the necessary files. So, the html build doesn't work.

Supposedly, Andrei is going to fix it, but I don't believe that he's checked in a
fix thus far. So, for the moment, building the docs doesn't work. I'm not sure
what Andrei is getting it to work on his machine (since he's obviously been
doing it), but until he fixes the Makefile, you can't just run make html and build
the docs like you should be able to.