[phobos] Push or pull?

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Thu Feb 3 10:18:15 PST 2011

On 2/3/11 11:25 AM, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:54 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Lars, you seem to know your way around the process. Do you think you
>> could put together a short document and a collection of scripts that
>> people can use? The workflows involved are:
>>
>> 1. I am done making a change and want to submit it for review.
>>
>> 2. Reviewers gave feedback and I need to change my stuff and submit it
>> back for review. Preferably there would be an obvious connection between
>> the first and subsequent submissions.
>>
>> 3. Reviewers are okay with my changes, I need to upload them.
>
> Sure, I can write a "contributor's guide". :)  I don't know how much we
> can do with scripts, though.  A lot of the process is just point'n-click
> on GitHub.

I'd like some scripts such as:

1. "git submit" -> submits for first review
2. "git resubmit" -> resubmits for subsequent reviews (with an argument
identifying the commit)
3. "git approved" -> submission approved, push the commit

Git allows defining such custom commands in ~/.gitconfig. If a
point-and-click procedure needs to be done instead of the above, let's
just document that. Essentially if we boil this down to a one-page cheat
sheet that anyone can use, that would be perfect.

>> Ideally we'd have a means of enforcement, i.e. no code makes it that
>> didn't get "OK" at least from one reviewer. Also, even if one reviewer
>> gave "OK" another one could veto.
>>
>> We use a similar process at Facebook and it is extremely helpful.
>
> I'll check whether GitHub supports anything like that.

Thanks very much!