[phobos] How to build the Phobos docs?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Feb 3 23:12:53 PST 2011

On Thursday 03 February 2011 11:28:47 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> I looked into this and I don't know what the best way is.
>
> Essentially it makes little sense to build Phobos without having the
> site around. Practically this is because std.ddoc is in the
> d-programming-language.org repository (as I think it should).
>
> If you have this structure:
>
> somedir/
>    phobos/
>    d-programming-language.org/
>
> it all works automatically. If you have d-programming-language.org
> elsewhere, do this:
>
> make html DOCSRC=/path/to/d-programming-language.org
>
> Suggestions for improving this are welcome.

Okay. I'm just totally confused now. make -f posix.mak html in Phobos just plain
doesn't work. It always gives this error:

make: *** No rule to make target `../web/phobos-prerelease/phobos.html', needed
by `html'.  Stop.

It's looking for ../web, which doesn't exist. If I run make -f linux.mak in d-
programming-language.org, then ../web gets created, but there's still no
phobos.html file, and telling Phobos to make html still fails. And it's not like
d-programming-language.org went and created all of Phobos' html files either.
../web-phobos-prerelease/ is completely empty.

So, I really don't know what I'm supposed to do to build the docs. I was pretty
much expecting make -f posix.mak html in phobos to work (which it used to) -
even if it required ../d-programming-language.org to be there. But it doesn't
work, and I don't know what to do. Either I'm totally misunderstanding something
here, or you have something on your machine which isn't in the repositories.