[phobos] Push or pull?

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 4 00:28:40 PST 2011

On 3 February 2011 17:45, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:17 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>> > Well, I'm not sure that _every_ commit needs to be reviewed by another person
>> > (e.g. if you're just doing documentation changes or they're changes that you're
>> > sure of).
>>
>> I think every commit should be seen by at least two persons. It has
>> happened that an apparently trivial fix has caused trouble.
>
> ...and some of those times, the trouble surfaced *after* other people
> had made further commits, making it difficult to figure out just which
> commit caused it.
>
> I agree that all code should be reviewed, even if it's just a couple of
> people saying "looks good" in the pull request discussion.  The one
> making the request can even take care of merging the code, once enough
> people have given their "ok".

At least, we should have two people (the coder and the reviewer) with
the responsibility to revert the change immediately if it causes the
auto-tester to break.
I'm a bit sick of seeing failures on the autotester that take days to
be resolved.

My view: I actually don't think it's a big issue to have a bad commit
(because it's so easy to revert them), but it's a huge issue to have a
bad commit that isn't addressed immediately.