[phobos] Push or pull?

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Feb 4 09:45:40 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 15:36 +0100, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Russel suggested Gerrit, which seems to be exactly what you're looking
> for.  However, Gerrit is a Git server in its own right, and encourages a
> quite different workflow than GitHub.  In general, it seems Gerrit and
> GitHub don't play nice together:
>
>   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2451644/gerrit-with-github
>
> (Scott Chacon is one of the GitHub devs, by the way, so he should know.)

Bizarrely :-)  I hadn't twigged to this, thanks for the "head up" on
this issue.

> Instead, I suggest we do one of the following two things:
>
> 1. Trust people not to commit anything unless it has been reviewed and
> OK'ed by at least two other team members.
>
> 2. Revoke everyone except Andrei's (and possibly one or two others')
> push privileges, and leave the job of integrating our changes to those
> select few.

In the GPars team we use 1, for Gant I use 2.  Both work, but I suspect
that is because there is very little traffic on Gant.  Thus 1 is
probably to be preferred.

There is a significant difference between having an inner core of
privileged committers when using CVCS and DVCS.  With CVCS it is
incredibly difficult to use version control at all for the project
unless you are in the privileged group.  With DVCS anyone can use full
version control to work on a project, the privileged committers are just
the final gatekeepers as to what goes into the central repository that
defines the official current state of the project.  Whilst a seemingly
trivial difference, it is actually major and crucial -- at least in any
form of FOSS project.

> The latter is the "traditional" git way to do it, but it means more work
> for those chosen to be the integrators.  My vote goes to 1.

Well for any big project there would be a hierarchical structure of
filtering so as to have a balanced workload for each person at each
level.

> Ok, now you can read my draft and comment on it.  Like I said, I'm going
> away for the weekend, so I probably won't be able to respond to any
> comments until Monday.
>
>   http://www.kyllingen.net/guide.html

I wonder if the idea of keeping master as a mirror of the master of the
central mainline and having all work done by people not in the final
commit group on named branches would help with pull requests?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk