[phobos] How to build the Phobos docs?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Feb 7 04:58:28 PST 2011

On Monday 07 February 2011 04:25:49 Lars Tandle Kyllingstad wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 04:13 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> > > Okay. I'm just totally confused now. make -f posix.mak html in Phobos
> > > just plain doesn't work. It always gives this error:
> > >
> > > make: *** No rule to make target
> > > `../web/phobos-prerelease/phobos.html', needed by `html'.  Stop.
> > >
> > > It's looking for ../web, which doesn't exist. If I run make -f
> > > linux.mak in d- programming-language.org, then ../web gets created,
> > > but there's still no phobos.html file, and telling Phobos to make html
> > > still fails. And it's not like d-programming-language.org went and
> > > created all of Phobos' html files either. ../web-phobos-prerelease/ is
> > > completely empty.
> > >
> > > So, I really don't know what I'm supposed to do to build the docs. I
> > > was pretty much expecting make -f posix.mak html in phobos to work
> > > (which it used to) - even if it required ../d-programming-language.org
> > > to be there. But it doesn't work, and I don't know what to do. Either
> > > I'm totally misunderstanding something here, or you have something on
> > > your machine which isn't in the repositories.
> >
> > Any update or clarification on this? I'd really like to be able to build
> > the phobos docs. It's a lot harder to edit documentation and verify how
> > it looks when building the documentation doesn't work.
>
> Here's a workaround, assuming the directory structure suggested by
> Andrei:
>
>   cd d-programming-language.org
>   make -f linux.mak
>   cd ..
>   mkdir web/phobos-prerelease
>   touch web/phobos-prerelease/phobos.html
>   cd phobos
>   make -f posix.mak html

That does work. Thanks. Though I do think that this needs to be fixed so that a
fresh fork of d-programing-language.org, phobos, and druntime can produce the
documentation with just their makefiles and without needing to create extra
directories or empty files.

By the way, I noticed that @property shows up almost not at all in the
documentation when I build it that way. The same goes for the docs on www.d-
programming-language.org (which presumably generated in pretty much the same
manner). So, it looks like the changes to std.ddoc and/or whatever else affects
the look of the documentation has resulted in some stuff not showing up. I don't
know what else has been affected, but @property certainly has.