[phobos] Why did the exe size just increase by 170K since dmd2.051?

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Mon Feb 7 15:16:46 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, February 07, 2011 14:30:18 Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> compile with the -map option.
>>
>> tl,dr: everything in Phobos/Druntime references everything else.
>>

> Doing stuff like removing eponymous templates from the binary (since all you
> relaly need is the result, not the template instantiation) would likely help.

I'm sorry to bang the drum on this, but the very first step is to
generate the .map file using the -map switch. Then you *know* what is
taking up space in the executable. Otherwise, you're doing no better
than guessing at why Bob's credit card bill is high without ever looking
at his visa statement.