[phobos] Push or pull?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed Feb 9 10:18:12 PST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote:
>> Even the instructions on github for generating a pull request use the master branch. After a few failed attempts usig a separate branch I gave up and did what thy said.
>
> You must be talking about something else, step 1 is to switch to the
> branch you want:
>
> http://help.github.com/pull-requests/#initiating_the_pull_request

Ah, I was working mostly from the "forking a project" page.  It says "once you've pushed your commit(s), inform the project owner of the changes so they can pull them into their repo. The best way to do this is by sending a pull request."  I'll see about reverting my changes in master and moving them to a branch.

> The default is to have the request pulled into the master branch of
> your forked repository though, which usually is the desired location

Is it really the desired location?  If I want to submit multiple pull requests to a single project, I'd think that each one should be done from a separate branch.  Using master as the default seems like it would work against this.