[phobos] Split std.datetime in two?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 16:09:31 PST 2011

> On Thursday, February 10, 2011 15:00:50 spir wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed.

>>> Agreed. People will look at Phobos for inspiration in terms of style and
>>> idioms. If they see they're looking at more than 2x the size of the code
>>> for adding tests, probably they'd feel intimidated.
>>>
>>> Peeking at std.datetime's unittests, I confirm they are very repetitive -
>>> essentially unrolled loops. I just set the bar somewhat halfway and saw
>>> the following. I mean come on!
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>>
>>> assertThrown!DateTimeException(Date.fromISOString(""));
>>> assertThrown!DateTimeException(Date.fromISOString("990704"));
>>> assertThrown!DateTimeException(Date.fromISOString("0100704"));
>>> assertThrown!DateTimeException(Date.fromISOString("2010070"));
>>> assertThrown!DateTimeException(Date.fromISOString("2010070 "));
>>> [...]
>>
>> I'm interested in this example. I mean how can this happen? What we would
>> never do in regular (if only because we're lazy, and even copy+paste sucks
>> for more than a few repetitions), we happily do as soon as the /context/
>> is somehow different; eg unittests. Just like if unittest were not code.
>> I've read similar patterns in code by very high-level programmers. There
>> are even test-case generating tools that produce such code.
>
> Unit tests need to be simple. If they're more complicated, the risk of getting
> them wrong goes up. Also, as Steve points out, determining _what_ failed can be
> a royal pain when you try and put something in a loop. Helper functions help
> with that, but it's still a pain.
>
> Normal code can afford to be more complex - _especially_ if it's well unit
> tested. But if you make complicated unit tests, then pretty soon you have a
> major burden in making sure that your tests are correct rather than your code.
> In the case above, it's testing 5 things, so it's 5 lines. It's simple and
> therefore less error prone. Unit tests really should favor simplicity and
> correctness over reduced line count or increased cleverness. The goal of unit
> testing code is inherently different from normal code. _That_ is why unit testing
> code is written differently from normal code.

Thank you for your answer, Jonathan, makes much sense. Looks like the famous
"who controls the controller" ;-) Your answer beeing "let us make the
controller do its task in shuch a way that it does not require (much) control".

denis