[phobos] When are we going to release a beta?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 10 22:25:28 PST 2011

> On Thursday 10 February 2011 22:06:35 Don Clugston wrote:
>> Since the last release
>> - A rather terrible appending regression was fixed (adequate grounds
>> for an emergency release)
>> - Some of the worst wrong code bugs have been fixed
>> - A raft of other bugs have been fixed.
>> - And we've switched to git!
>>
>> I really think we should be wrapping up a release now.
>
> I should probably be finishing up my latest fixes to std.datetime's docs then, so
> that they can go out with the next release (which will be the first one with
> std.datetime).
>
> One thing that I'm wondering about though is the renaming of functions in
> std.string to fix capitalization. There was talk of doing it, and there were a
> fair number of changes to the functions in there, moving stuff to std.array and
> the like, but I don't believe that any of the functions in std.string have been
> renamed yet. I would have thought that it would be desirable to rename them at
> the same time that so many functions were moved, since then it would concentrate
> all of those major changes and make them less painful in the long run.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

There's still a ton of things left to break in phobos.  I'm not too worried about trying to get them all in right now.

I agree, let's get this release stamped out and move on to the next cycle.  There's already been two beta's cut during
this cycle, though I agree that a third would be a good idea to make it clear that unless someone speaks up about
regressions that the next step is a release.

Anyone have a good reason not to freeze checkins for the next beta on, saturday or sunday and hopefully release a day or
two later?