[phobos] Validating email addresses

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Thu Feb 17 11:18:10 PST 2011

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Does it extract the address and the full name as well?  Simply validating something as an email address isn't terribly useful.

Terribly useful, maybe not. But it is useful in that:

1. lots of code does email validation, and most do it wrong

2. it's a hard thing to get right

3. writing internet software is increasingly important, and supporting
that in Phobos with quality functions is worthwhile

To me, it's like writing the math gamma function. How many programs
would use it? Very few. But having a well done implementation is
appreciated by those who do need it, and it's a mark of quality in the
library.