[phobos] auto-tester update

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 20 18:16:10 PST 2011

On 2/20/2011 6:00 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Brad Roberts wrote:
>> On 2/20/2011 5:25 PM, David Simcha wrote:
>>
>>> What's wrong with virtualization as a solution to the one-box-per-platform problem?  Just use your favorite OS as your
>>> host, get a ton of RAM, and run all the rest in VMs.
>>>

>> It's a solution, but not a great one.  The build runs are already cpu bound, so diving up the cpu's just means
>> everything goes slower.
>>

> My experience with virtual boxes is they get wiped out every time you do an update on the host. Extremely annoying. I
> use a separate box per OS. Something to do with the old machines around here :-)

Your experience, of once.  Let's just say that I've got a bit of experience running virtualized environments (I do work
in amazon's ec2 org after all).  I'd consider it if I had boxes large enough to be worth subdividing.  On the other
hand, freebsd until 8.2-rc1 (and pre-releases of 9, ie, no released) doesn't support running on xen.  osx's license
doesn't allow running it virtualized, if I remember right.  That just leaves opensolaris which does run on top of xen,
but I've never tried it myself.

Anyway.. just need to add osx, which Sean is helping with, and we'll have all of our primary platforms auto-testing d2.