[phobos] For review: Improvements to std.variant and std.json

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Fri Feb 25 11:01:35 PST 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 02:24:10 -0500, Masahiro Nakagawa
<repeatedly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 06:57:00 +0900, Robert Jacques <sandford at jhu.edu>
> wrote:
[snip]
>> My main purpose behind a binary json format was to store/read a data
>> table, which was originally quite small and now is quite large, in a
>> more efficient manner. Long term, I'm thinking of dropping this
>> functionality in favor of a customized D binary serial format.
>
> I think original binary format is not necessary.
> When user uses JSON, object size and performance are not important.
> Adding halfway implementation increases maintenance cost. It's a demerit.
>

> Masahiro

I agree with you that an original binary format is not necessary. But a
binary format is, and I've had trouble finding an open binary
specification with reference support. If you have a suggestion and
specification link, it would be much appreciated.