[phobos] next release (meaning of path)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 2 17:33:10 PST 2011

On Sunday 02 January 2011 16:18:20 Michel Fortin wrote:
> Le 2011-01-02 à 19:01, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
> > Let's have a brief vote. Do you think we should have a string-like
> > structure Path in std.path? What primitives should it have?
> >
> > I'm fine using strings, but I could be convinced to use a Path type if it
> > had some compelling advantages.
>
> I don't mind much having paths as strings, except for one thing:
>
> What I dislike currently is that std.path always implement the OS
> filesystem path syntax. In some code dealing with the web I had to
> implement my own path functions to deal with URL paths (using std.path
> would break on Windows). So having distinct types to deal with different
> kinds of paths would probably be helpful.
>
> That said, perhaps handling of URIs doesn't belong in std.path...

URIs are their own beast, I think. They have their own rules about what is and
isn't allowed in them and what separators they use. Also, the fact that you can
have arguments in them and the like makes them distinctly different from file
system paths. Even though there is definitely some overlap, what exactly you're
trying to do with them and how you use them is definitely different. That being
said, it would probably good to have some decent URI stuff in Phobos at some
point. Having some HTTP stuff would be good too. In any case, I wouldn't consider
it to be a good idea to mix file system paths and URIs.