[phobos] next release (meaning of path)

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 08:40:28 PST 2011

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:57:24 -0800
Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> Much as I have found path types to be useful at times, they can definitely be a
> bit burdensome for simple operations, and simple operations are all that the
> vast majority of the programs out there really care about. So, I'm tempted to
> say that a path type just isn't worth the bother in std.path and leave it to a
> third party library for those who really care.

As an intermediate solution, why not let standard _file_ operations have plain string pathes as parameters, but provide a Path type in std.path. Anyway, it won't bother you if let it alone ;-)

An even lighter alternative would be to define
	alias string[] Path;
then (re)write all path functionality funcs as pseudo-methods taking a string[] as first arg, to benefit from the "unversal func call syntax" (which you like so much, and myself as well), that currently works only for arrays. [Except for the pseudo-constructor.]
Worth exploring?

Denis
vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com