[phobos] 32 and 64 bit libraries on Linux

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Tue Jan 4 05:03:16 PST 2011

Walter,

I think your naming proposal here will lead to serious problems.
Speaking from a very Linux, indeed Debian and Ubuntu, centred
perspective, my machines have a natural bit width and so /usr/lib
relates to the natural bit width.  64-bit in may case.  There is
also /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64.  In my case /usr/lib64 is a symbolic
link to /usr/lib.  /usr/lib32 cotnains all the 32-bit libraries etc.  In
all cases the name of a library is always the same, e.g. libphobos2.a no
matter what the bit width.

Obviously the DMD distribution can do what it likes as it doesn't
actually interact with /usr since it is not coming in via a package (as
32-bit packages should not be installed on a 64-bit platform -- see
above).  The problem is though that the DMD distribution should not do
anything that makes it hard for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RHEL, etc.
packagers to work within the rules of their distribution.