[phobos] 32 and 64 bit libraries on Linux

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 7 20:39:52 PST 2011

On Friday 07 January 2011 19:25:17 Walter Bright wrote:
> Your scheme works, though I had to add the switch:
>
>    --no-warn-search-mismatch
>
> to the linker command.

Well, that's good to hear, though I find it interesting that you had to add that
flag. By all evidence, I would have thought that gcc did that already. Hopefully,
you still get a sensible enough error when you don't have the correct library
version but you do have the library - though my guess would be that it would
simply tell you that it couldn't find it rather than telling you that it found a
mismatch if it doesn't find the correct one, which would be less useful than
telling you that the one that it found was the wrong one, but it wouldn't
usually be an issue, and if you had libphobos.a on the path, and it didn't work,
then the most obvious question would be whether it was for the right
architecture, which is easy enough to figure out. So, I wouldn't expect it to be
much of a problem, even if it wouldn't be ideal. Regardless, at least you were
able to finally get something working.