[phobos] sizediff_t

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 02:51:41 PST 2011

> One question - we don't have a type for the difference of two size_t
> objects. That would be int on m32 and long on m64. C has historically
> used ptrdiff_t for that, but not all size differences are pointer
> differences, so gnu has acknowledged that by defining ssize_t ("signed
> size_t" I suppose).
>
> While being in a crunch making some 64-bit changes I defined the type
> sizediff_t. I wonder if that's okay as a permanent solution.

Isn't sizediff_t already defined somewhere? I have the following at
start of each source file:

// standard type aliases
alias sizediff_t    Ordinal;    // index in sequence/range/whatever
alias size_t        Cardinal;   // element count of a collection

By the way, wouldn't it be time for D builtin names to conform to its
own style guide (as published online)?

Denis