[phobos] phobos commit, revision 2331

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 14 05:43:19 PST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:36:18 -0500, dsource.org <noreply at dsource.org>
wrote:

> phobos commit, revision 2331
>

> user: jmdavis
>
> msg:
> Re-enabled std.datetime for Windows but disabled its unit tests for
> Windows.
>
> For some reason, the std.datetime unit tests compile and pass without
> problems on Linux and in Wine on Linux, but on real Windows, the
> compiler runs out of memory when compiling them. So, for now, all of the
> std.datetime unit tests are versioned with testStdDateTime. On Posix,
> version=testdStdDateTime is used in std.datetime, so the tests will run,
> but that version is not set on Windows, so the unit tests don't run on
> Windows. So, if you want to run the std.datetime unit tests on Windows or
> under Wine or Linux, then compile with -version=testStdDateTime.
>
> At the moment, all of the tests pass on both Linux and under Wine, and
> the normal code does compile on proper, so I'm fairly certain that it's
> fine
> for use on Windows, but for now, I can't enable the tests on Windows. My
> best guess is that it's some sort of weird compiler bug involving system
> calls that leak memory on Windows-proper but not in Wine, but I really
> don't know.
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/phobos/changeset/2331
>
> paths changed:
> U   trunk/phobos/std/datetime.d

If DMD is running out of memory at compile time, I doubt it has to do with
weird compiler bugs. DMD running out of memory is usually a sign of heavy
compile time string manipulation, CTFE or template usage. Remember, DMD
keeps all template instantiations in memory and every time a string or
array is touched, a new copy is created (bug 1382).