[phobos] Parallelism in Phobos

Jesse Phillips jesse.k.phillips at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 11:05:13 PST 2011

Well, I'm for the library. I haven't done much with concurrent
programming, but it looks like it would be usable in more general
cases. I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but here are some
thoughts.

It doesn't make use of std.concurrency, would it make sense to build
it off of message passing?

I believe that std.concurrency's interface is meant to scale up to
clusters, would this be doable for std.parallelism?

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com> wrote:
> On 9/10/10 1:29 PM, David Simcha wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com
>> <mailto:andrei at erdani.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    The latter. Anyway, my vetoing abilities are largely overrated.
>>
>>    Andrei
>>

>> Yeah, it's just that I really want to make sure this lib isn't too
>> narrowly tailored to scientific computing cases, especially in easily
>> fixable ways.  I want at least the high level design reviewed by you and
>> Sean before I commit it, to make sure that it will be useful to people
>> besides me, Lars Kyllingstad and Rob Jacques (the three scientific
>> computing people involved with D, all of whom seem to like this
>> library).  I have yet to really have feedback from anyone anywhere about
>> it besides scientific computing people.
>
> I believe that fork-join parallelism can be of much more general interest
> once packaged in an accessible format. So I'm interested in following
> David's work on std.parallelism through review and acceptance into Phobos.
>
> Andrei

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
  - George Bernard Shaw