[phobos] phobos commit, revision 2331

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 14 13:29:55 PST 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011 12:24:06 Sean Kelly wrote:
> It could be a difference in the Windows vs. Linux memory manager.  Did
> anyone ever try hooking the Boehm GC into DMD?

Actually, it looks like I screwed up in my testing. Wine probably has the
problem too.

When building and running the tests on Linux and Windows, I built and ran (well,
tried to run on Windows) the entirety of Phobos. However, since I have yet to be
able to figure out how to compile druntime with Wine, I compiled and ran only
core.time and std.datetime when testing Wine. So, I just tried doing that for
all three.

On Windows and Wine, dmd uses about 370MB, but does not run out of memory when
just compiling core.time and std.datetime. On Linux, it uses about 270MB (so,
evidentally, I did a poor job reading the memory consumption on Linux before).
So, there's a definite increase on both Windows and Wine, but neither runs out of
memory when just compiling core.time and std.datetime. Windows definitely runs
out when compiling all of Phobos with std.datetime's unit tests enabled, but it
doesn't if it's just core.time and std.datetime. Linux does fine with all of
Phobos, but my guess is that Wine does just as poorly as Windows if you compile
all of Phobos' unit tests (though I haven't been able to test it).

So, it doesn't look like it's Windows vs Wine problem at all, but it's still a
Windows vs Linux problem.