[phobos] Why "Scheduled for deprecation?"

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 14 22:48:07 PST 2011

I'm wondering what the point of marking modules as scheduled for deprecation
really is - at least the way that we've been doing it. I can understand marking
a module as scheduled for deprecation if there's a planned replacement but no
actual replacement yet in order to warn programmers that that module will be
going away. However, at present, we seem to be using it to just tell programmers
to use a replacement which actually does exist. That being the case, why are we
marking them as scheduled for deprecation rather than just deprecating them?
Having the pragma tell people what to use instead is certainly good, but I don't
quite get why we've been marking modules as scheduled to be deprecated when we
have a clear replacement for them and are telling programmers to use the
replacement. Why aren't we actually deprecating them and then just using the
pragma to indicate which module to use instead?