[phobos] Deprecation of std.date

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 15 20:28:33 PST 2011

I've been going through the process of making Phobos use std.datetime instead of
std.date. It isn't all that many changes, but it does mean that we're going to
need to deprececate several functions outside of std.date and std.dateparse (all
in std.file IIRC) and of course the modules std.gregorian, std.date, and
std.dateparse. That's fine. The problem, however, is marking them as "scheduled
for deprecation" with a pragma rather than just marking them as deprecated. It
works just fine to mark them as scheduled for deprecation with a pragma, but it
means that the output for the unittest build of Phobos spits out

std.date has been scheduled for deprecation. Please use std.datetime instead.
std.dateparse has been scheduled for deprecation. Please use std.datetime
instead.

almost every other line (as opposed to std.gregorian, which prints out its
message once or twice). It's definitely annoying, albeit temporary.

Is it acceptable to pollute the output for the build that thoroughly, or should
I should I just mark the std.date-related stuff as deprecated instead of
scheduled to be deprecated, or are we willing to have the build output flooded
with "scheduled for deprecation" messages for a release or two?