[phobos] Deprecation of std.date

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 16 20:45:52 PST 2011

On 1/16/2011 8:25 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>
>> I guess that overall, I've been viewing the deprecation path as nice but not
>> absolutely necessary, whereas you're viewing it as necessary.
>
> In my experience of foisting breaking changes upon people, it can be very
> annoying to them. In my experience of breaking changes being foisted upon me, it
> can be very annoying to me. Hence my attitude about it :-)

One interesting side effect of breaking changes is that it introduces plateau
releases.  Some subset of the user base stops upgrading at the release just
prior to the breaking change for a long time.  It happens with compiler
regressions.  I don't know that I can recall specific times when it's occurred
due to druntime/phobos changes though.

IMHO, if it's not possible to fully stage the deprecation, minimizing the fast
removal to a small set might be a reasonable path.

Later,
Brad