[phobos] lots of spurious code that doesn't work

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 22 02:32:49 PST 2011

On Saturday 22 January 2011 02:26:42 spir wrote:
> > I'd love to have a minimal stylistic checker upon checkin. For one
> > thing, I don't find any reason for two empty lines and I don't plan to
> > rearrange the monitor sideways for more vertical space.
>
> Thought I was the only one caring for vertical space...

You can find just about as many preferences as programmers. Some programmers like
lots of extra space (presumably so that the code is easier to read), whereas as
others want as little extra space as posible (presumably seeing it as a waste of
space and disliking the fact that they can then fit less code on the screen).
Some programmers like to put spaces around parens. Some like to put them only on
the inside of parens. Others don't like _any_ spaces around parens. Some
programmers like opening braces on the same line as the preceding statement,
whereas as others always want braces on their own line. Some programmers prefere
camelcased variable names; others prefer names with embedded underscores.

I'm sure that there are styles which could be consider essentially objectively
bad (such as putting 1000 spaces wherever you can legally put whitespace or
never using any more whitespace then you have to, putting all of the code on a
single line). However, generally-speaking, it's purely subjective and everyone
is going to have their own opinion and preferences on the matter.