[phobos] lots of spurious code that doesn't work

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 22 20:16:33 PST 2011

On Friday 21 January 2011 19:48:09 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 1/21/11 8:56 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > <snip not-broken style issues -- not that I disagree, just partitioning
> > the discussion>.
>
> I'd love to have a minimal stylistic checker upon checkin. For one
> thing, I don't find any reason for two empty lines and I don't plan to
> rearrange the monitor sideways for more vertical space.

By the way, the D style guide currently posted on the main site specifically says
that you're _supposed_ to put two blank lines between function bodies. It also
claims that all submissions to Phobos are supposed to follow those guidelines.

So, if you _really_ don't want two blank spaces between function bodies, then
that page should probably be updated. I confess that I prefer that there be two
blank lines between functions, and I'm not sure that that page quite matches the
style that we want in Phobos anyway (though glancing at it, it looks pretty much
correct), but we might want to make sure that that page actually reflects what
we're actually trying to do in Phobos. At minimum, specifically testing with a
stylistic checker that something is _not_ done in code when the style page on
the main site says that it's _supposed_ to be in code wouldn't really look good
(not to mention, it would be confusing to anyone who actually paid attention to
both). I confess that I only noticed though, because someone on D.Learn was
wondering why various enums in Phobos don't follow the style guide - such as
Endian.BigEndian and FunctionAttributes.NOTHROW.