[phobos] [dmd-internals] svn-->git migration

Jason Evans jasone at canonware.com
Sun Jan 23 20:42:33 PST 2011

On 01/23/2011 08:28 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> How do we set things so that line endings are automatically normalized
> to LF?

You mean, something similar to a subversion commit hook script that
re-writes the commit on the fly?  I don't think we'll be able to do that
in general, due to the distributed nature of git.  Here is a relevant
github support discussion:

	http://support.github.com/discussions/feature-requests/686-pre-commit-hooks

The core of the problem is that an entire series of changes (including
arbitrarily complex forking/merging) can be performed in a local
repository, then pushed to github all at once.  Therefore, normalization
would have to do some non-trivial history rewriting, which would then
cause divergence from the repository the changes were pushed from.

Thanks,
Jason