[phobos] [dmd-internals] svn-->git migration

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 24 00:54:26 PST 2011

Don Clugston wrote:
> Worth noting that on Windows, you *must* be in the git bash shell. If
> you try this from the windows command prompt you get:
> Initialized empty Git repository in
> /cygdrive/c/dmd2dev/src/gitdmd/druntime/.git/
> fatal: exec ssh failed.

My general experiences with linux apps ported to Windows is that they
suck because:

1. the main devs won't touch windows, so the ports are done by someone
else who doesn't really understand the code
2. the app tends to have weird and wacky problems with / and \ in paths
3. running the app requires a boatload of other linux utilities that are
also half-assed ports to windows
4. the app has a schizophrenic relationship with LF vs CRLF line endings
(git has this problem)
5. the windows port tends to lag by multiple versions
6. the windows port randomly crashes and nobody cares (I'm looking at
you, LaTeX)
7. documentation is lacking on the windows port
8. tech support is lacking for it

So I'm not even attempting to run git on Windows. Git was designed and
written by Linux people, and it probably runs best on Linux.

tl;dr I suggest you get a linux box!!