[phobos] [dmd-internals] svn-->git migration

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jan 24 14:23:40 PST 2011

Le 2011-01-24 à 15:28, Walter Bright a écrit :

> (*) First off, there were several settings. Nobody could tell me if git stored the files in its database with canonicalized line endings, what happened to the original files (were they modified by git?) and what happens when files were restored from git (line endings left as is, rewritten, what?), if only the diff programs affected, was the sha hash affected, etc.
>
> Clearly, at a deep fundamental level, git works with binary files. Not text files. Attempting to hammer it to work with text files is just doomed.

I worked a lot with Git on Windows (through Cygwin) with no problem. But I never ever activated the line ending conversion option. It's not the first time I hear it causes problems. My recommendation is to make sure git does not try to convert the line endings and let your editor handle whatever comes in. The worse that can happen is that line endings get mixed up, which is pretty much the same as tabs and spaces being mixed up, which can be solved using the same solutions.

My biggest complain goes to those who made that Windows Git installer. They should have abstained from making the newline conversion the default.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/