[phobos] [dmd-internals] svn-->git migration

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 25 10:59:53 PST 2011

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Crazy thought - how about you change your editor to use LF? Operating
> systems wars aside, this is clearly a place where Windows borked up.

I've integrated tolf into my workflow. The CRLF files checked in were
not done by myself.

The Windows use of CRLF goes back to DOS, based on CP/M, which derived
from DEC RT-11, which derived from DEC SYSTEM-10 in use in the 70's. So
it goes back at least that far, probably much farther. All DEC operating
systems used CRLF.

It obviously goes back at least as far as ASCII itself. LF means "line
feed", which advances the platen one line. CR means "carriage return"
which moves the print head to the beginning of the line. These are
separate operations, and a lot of older programs relied on it. ASCII
terminals (and teletypes) all operated this way.

To say that Windows clearly borked it up is very incorrect.

Windows has a lot of DEC heritage in it, including how the command line
interface works, even the names of a lot of the commands, like TYPE.