[phobos] problem solved

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Fri Jan 28 07:14:26 PST 2011

On 01/28/2011 02:40 AM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> And while we're at it... that should be .dmdconf, not dmd.conf. It's
>> time to polish all aspects of the installation.
>>

> I've never liked the configuration files being hidden. It's freaking
> annoying.

It doesn't quite matter what you and I like or not. Everybody on Unix
does it that way ever since .profile. The presence of dmd.conf has
"these morons think they're special" written all over it. So please
let's not be gratuitously strident.

> BTW, the Windows convention is to store your configuration in the system
> registry. We do not do that. Nobody has yet complained about this (in
> the entire history of dmd and dmc). In fact, they /*like*/ that dmc/dmd
> do not put settings in the system registry.

The registry sucks. Most users hate it, and many applications are
refusing to use it. It's definitely not a good comparison.