[phobos] problem solved

Jesse Phillips jesse.k.phillips at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:16:07 PST 2011

There is a push to move program configuration files for $HOME into
.config/program then leaving the file itself unhidden.

"I've never liked the configuration files being hidden. It's freaking annoying"

$ ls -a

or most GUI browser it is an option in the right-click menu.

Really Linux does not have "hidden" files, it has configuration files
which it hides, but they are always easy to view unlike in Windows.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com> wrote:
> Correct. That's what I've always meant: only hide the file in $HOME.
>
> Andrei
>
> On 1/28/11 9:21 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:14:26AM -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> It doesn't quite matter what you and I like or not. Everybody on Unix
>>> does it that way ever since .profile.
>>
>> If the file is in $HOME, and sometimes if in the current working
>> directory.
>>
>> program.conf is common if the file resides in its own directory (including
>> dot directories under home) or /etc.
>>
>> The website lists these locations:
>>
>> 1.current working directory
>> 2.directory specified by the HOME environment variable
>> 3.directory dmd resides in
>> 4./etc/
>>
>> (1) and (2) might be renamed, but (3) and (4) certainly shouldn't be.

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.
  - George Bernard Shaw