[phobos] problem solved

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 28 11:22:01 PST 2011

On Friday, January 28, 2011 11:14:47 Walter Bright wrote:
> Jesse Phillips wrote:
> > "I've never liked the configuration files being hidden. It's freaking
> > annoying"
> >
> > $ ls -a
>
> Yes, I know about -a, and that I can alias ls to ls -a.
>
> > or most GUI browser it is an option in the right-click menu.
> >
> > Really Linux does not have "hidden" files, it has configuration files
> > which it hides, but they are always easy to view unlike in Windows.
>
> I just don't understand the mentality (Linux or Windows) for hidden files.

You generally only want to see them if you're looking for them. Otherwise,
they're just annoying. $HOME is typically extremely cluttered with hidden files
on Linux, and I'd hate to be seeing all of those hidden normally. If I'm looking
for them, I want to be able to see them and access them, but I definitely don't
want to see them normally. Now, shoving them all in a .config or config directory
would be a big improvement regardless, and maybe then hidden files wouldn't
really be necessary. But I _definitely_ don't want all of those hidden files in
$HOME to be unhidden.