[phobos] problem solved

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 28 11:37:26 PST 2011

On Friday, January 28, 2011 11:32:37 Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, January 28, 2011 11:26:21 spir wrote:
> > On 01/28/2011 08:22 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > > You generally only want to see them if you're looking for them.
> > > Otherwise, they're just annoying. $HOME is typically extremely
> > > cluttered with hidden files on Linux, and I'd hate to be seeing all of
> > > those hidden normally. If I'm looking for them, I want to be able to
> > > see them and access them, but I definitely don't want to see them
> > > normally. Now, shoving them all in a .config or config directory would
> > > be a big improvement regardless, and maybe then hidden files wouldn't
> > > really be necessary.
> >
> > Exactly; there should definitely /config (for /all/ user definable config
> > files). That's one of the numerous points showing how the std Unix
> > filesystem hierarchy is designed for sysadmins, not for users ;-)
>
> And why would I want /config for all users? The config files in $HOME are
> user- specific and have no business being  system specific. It's /etc that
> has system specific config files. And maybe /config would have been a
> better name than /etc, but I don't think that a  name change would help
> anything at this point. Regardless, I _want_ my user-specific settings to
> be user-specific. I see _zero_ benefit in putting them in /config. That
> makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Not to mention, by having the config files in my home directory (or some
subdirectory thereof), the config files can then be used on multiple Linux
installs on the same box. If they were in something like /config, then you'd have
to fix them all every time you setup another Linux install on the same box (be it
a second/third/etc. install or one which replaces your current install -
assuming that /home is on a separate partition). It's annoying enough to have to
fix what's in /etc every time that I reinstall Linux. I don't want to have to fix
my user settings too.