[phobos] problem solved

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 28 12:29:05 PST 2011

On Friday 28 January 2011 12:21:35 spir wrote:
> > Not to mention, by having the config files in my home directory (or some
> > subdirectory thereof), the config files can then be used on multiple
> > Linux installs on the same box.
>
> ... and be saved together with your data.
>
> >  If they were in something like /config, then you'd have
> >
> > to fix them all every time you setup another Linux install on the same
> > box (be it a second/third/etc. install or one which replaces your
> > current install - assuming that /home is on a separate partition). It's
> > annoying enough to have to fix what's in /etc every time that I
> > reinstall Linux.
>
> What don't you save /etc as well, if you hack with it?

Of course, I save it. But it would be highly unwise to just copy it over to the
new system. I have to spend the time to figure out which files should be copied
over or edited and deal with all of that. With $HOME, I generally don't have to
worry about it at all. Sometimes KDE does funny things when keeping the same
config files between major versions or when trying to share them between Linux
installs, but it mostly works. /etc is another beast entirely however.