[phobos] next release

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 5 21:46:33 PDT 2011

On 6/5/2011 8:46 PM, David Simcha wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 11:10 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> It's been almost a month since the last release (May 12th).  It's probably time to start considering when to start the
>> betas for the next one.  What critical bugs are still on the table?
>>
> I'd be inclined to say that once a month is too frequent to be releasing now that D2 is supposedly stable.  My personal
> experience is that testing all my code and fixing whatever minor breakages happen is a PITA and the bug fixes are often
> for bugs I've learned to work around.  I think the language would "feel" more stable if the release cycle were longer,
> every 2-3 months.

I'm not sure that the stability of the language spec (which is about the only part of D2 that's stable at this point)
should drive release frequency of the parts that aren't stable.

For what it's worth, historically speaking, there's been a release every month or two pretty much it's entire history.
Three month gaps are few and far between.  I personally think that more smaller releases are better than fewer bigger
releases.