[phobos] next release

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jun 5 22:23:53 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-05 21:46, Brad Roberts wrote:
> On 6/5/2011 8:46 PM, David Simcha wrote:
> > On 6/5/2011 11:10 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
> >> It's been almost a month since the last release (May 12th).  It's
> >> probably time to start considering when to start the betas for the next
> >> one.  What critical bugs are still on the table?
> >
> > I'd be inclined to say that once a month is too frequent to be releasing
> > now that D2 is supposedly stable.  My personal experience is that
> > testing all my code and fixing whatever minor breakages happen is a PITA
> > and the bug fixes are often for bugs I've learned to work around.  I
> > think the language would "feel" more stable if the release cycle were
> > longer, every 2-3 months.
>
> I'm not sure that the stability of the language spec (which is about the
> only part of D2 that's stable at this point) should drive release
> frequency of the parts that aren't stable.
>
> For what it's worth, historically speaking, there's been a release every
> month or two pretty much it's entire history. Three month gaps are few and
> far between.  I personally think that more smaller releases are better
> than fewer bigger releases.

I don't know if every month is too frequent or not, but I do think that we
should try and be releasing at least every other month. It _is_ true though
that we've been releasing more slowly for the last few releases. I'm not sure
whether I care much one way or the other between monthly and bi-monthly
though.

What I'd really like to see is that we try and be more regular about releases
(be it at monthy or bi-monthly or whatever) so that we can generally have a
reasonable idea of when each release will be ahead of time. Granted, dates may
shift depending on the circumstances, but if we have something which is as
least close to a regular schedule, it'll definitely make some things easier.