[phobos] RFC: std.path

torhu torhu.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:03:17 PDT 2011

On 14.06.2011 23:09, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> - expandTilde is currently not implemented on windows, but I think a
> similar functionality using environment variables similar to HOME could
> work, too. I have no idea how to implement it for other users than the
> current, though.

I've had to deal with a similar issue, so I thought I'd chime in.  I
think expanding tilde to something (like HOMEPATH, which expands to
C:\Users\John or similiar) on Windows makes little sense.  You are
almost never supposed to create anything directly in that directory.
Instead, you use designated subfolders like AppData\Roaming or Documents.

Technically this would work, but it's just not good practice.  Let's not
encourage it.