[phobos] Changelogs

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 6 23:16:02 PST 2011

On Sunday 06 March 2011 21:56:23 Walter Bright wrote:
> Some good points.
>
> 1. For the *user* of D, rather than the developer of D, I think he'd
> want to see the changelog in one place rather than clicking around to
> look at various changelogs.
>
> 2. I understand that a single changelog can be problematic for the
> developer of D. So it is possibly a reasonable solution to create a
> changelog per phobos, druntime, and dmd, and then merge them for the
> releases.

I don't believe that anyone was necessarily suggesting that the changelogs be
separate pages. I think that it was more like the changelog for a given release
would be split up into sections for dmd, druntime, and Phobos - or perhaps just
the compiler and the libraries - but it would all still be on the same page. It
would just be sectioned differently.

Having separate changelog files would facilitate that, and it would make it
easier for developers on each project to update the changelog for that project
without needing commit access to d-programming-language.org. Obviously, the
entries from each file would have to be merged into the d-programming-
language.org file before the release however.