[phobos] OS X lib32?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Mar 26 13:26:56 PDT 2011

A little while ago, there was a discussion about where to put the 32-bit phobos library in the DMD archive. It was finally decided that the 32-bit version would  go to a lib32 directory, and the 64-bit one in a lib64 directory.

That's all fine for Linux, but I brought to the discussion that on OS X the standard way is to create a universal binary which includes both architectures in one file. That's how libraries are packaged on OS X. But I was told, that this didn't concern OS X (yet) as the 64-bit port was (for now) Linux-only. Valid point.

But now, I see that in the archive the OS X library has been moved to a lib32 directory. Was this intentional or is it an oversight? Is the plan to do things as they're done on Linux and not have a universal multi-architecture binary?

Currently D for Xcode is broken by this change and I'm looking at the best way to fix it. In the sort term I might just change the path to point to the lib32 directory instead of simply "lib". But the current approach which is to put a symbolic link in /usr/local/lib pointing to libphobos2.a won't work anymore if the binary for the two architectures are kept in separate files...

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/