[phobos] proposal for new top level package name "experimental"

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:46:44 PDT 2011

I'm basically in favor of this (I proposed a version of it) but how
would it interact with the review process?  My suggestion is that an
abbreviated review (maybe 1 week review, 2 day vote) is required to make
sure a module isn't complete junk, duplication of functionality already
in Phobos, etc. and get it in experimental.  Voting "yes" here means the
voter believes the module has enough merit to be worth the author's
effort to improve and the community's effort to review more thoroughly.
It does not necessarily mean the module is up to Phobos standards
as-is.  This also provides a procedure for filtering out modules with
little potential, with minimal work on everyone's part.  The purpose of
experimental is to conduct a more thorough review over the course of one
or a few release cycles before accepting the module into std.  While a
module is in experimental, breaking changes may be introduced at the
drop of a hat.  This is the place for the module to be thoroughly refined.

At the end of every release cycle, we should have a vote.  For each
module, a community member may vote:

1.  Accept into std.
2.  Keep in experimental.
3.  Reject, remove from experimental.

If a majority (not plurality) vote reject, the module is rejected.  If a
majority (not plurality) vote accept, it's moved into std.  If a
plurality (not necessarily majority) vote to keep it in experimental, it
stays in experimental.

Overall, having the modules in review be bundled with DMD, ready to be
used will lower the barrier to entry for people who are curious about
them.  It's also a good way to organize the modules in review at any
given time.