[phobos] proposal for new top level package name "experimental"

Martin Nowak dawg at dawgfoto.de
Tue Mar 29 18:24:15 PDT 2011

As an alternative approach.
I really like the GHC way of layering base/standard/extended/community
packages.
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Applications_and_libraries

Their installation/imports/link-flags are handled by a package tool called
ghc-pkg.
http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0-latest/html/users_guide/packages.html

On top of ghc-pkg is Cabal which does net installs and
building based on a declarative config file.

It seems a similar model could at least solve two problems.

  - Maintaining more modules outside of the language's std library
    as individual packages but still keeping them easily available/part of
the distribution.
    This should also help to get more people involved in development.

  - Allowing easier installation of supplementary packages from other
sources
    for rather specialized packages.
    This should lower the temptation of adding too much stuff to phobos.

martin